This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

I have a monetary difference between mortgage payment and rent - will I have to pay tax?

I own a one bedroom property and intend to rent it out. There will be a difference between the mortgage payments on the property and the rent I am considering setting.  Will I have to pay tax on this monetary difference?  Also can I get an allowance from the taxman for any repairs I have to carry out?

Arthur Weller Replies:
If the gross rent that you receive from your tenant, less the interest element of your mortgage payments, and less any allowable expenses that you incur, results in a positive figure, then this net figure is rental income which is taxable, and you will have to pay tax on it depending on the level of your other income in the tax year, and depending on your personal allowance. Frequently repairs to a let property are categorised as allowable expenses – see

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question