This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

How Do I Work Out Capital Gains Tax (CGT)?

I have two houses, both on buy to let mortgages, and I am thinking of selling one house; can you please tell me about CGT and how is it best to work this out because I have a mortgage on the house.

Arthur Weller Replies:
CGT is calculated on the difference between the sale proceeds and the acquisition value / price, i.e. how much you get for selling it and how much you paid for it. The fact that you have a mortgage, or how much the mortgage is, is not relevant to CGT in normal circumstances (this is a mistake that many people make - you are in good company!).

The mortgage is relevant to CGT only in a scenario in which the purchaser takes over the mortgage from the seller, as part of the deal. In such circumstances, tax law adds the amount of the mortgage taken over to the amount actually paid by the seller to determine the final selling price. See page CG78600,, on HMRC Capital Gains Manual.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question