This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

How Do I Go About Submitting a Tax Return Without the Help of an Accountant?

Question I hold Power of Attorney (POA) for my Mother who is in a home and pays all her own costs.  Her house is rented out to meet some of these, since February 2010.  The house was empty for 2 months this autumn.  I need to notify the Tax office but I plan to do the return myself to try and save money. Could you please give me some idea how to go about this?

Arthur Weller Replies:
If you are doing the tax return for year ending 5 April 2010 then you will have to submit it online by 31 January 2011. However if you only recently obtained the POA for your mother, you could claim a 'reasonable excuse' claim for late delivery of the self assessment tax return. On the HMRC website one of the examples of a reasonable excuse for late filing is ‘A serious illness has made you incapable of filing your tax return’. In your case, it would (presumably) be your mother's illness, and your recent taking over of her financial affairs.

The return should only include figures for the period when your mother started to rent out the property in February 2010 until 5 April 2010. You need to complete the SA105 UK Property supplementary pages together with the main SA100 pages.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question