Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

How Do I Account for Rent in Advance?

Question If my tenant pays me 6 months’ rent in advance in March 2011 do I:

a) Put the whole amount in my tax return for the tax year 2010/2011,
b) Apportion it, i.e. 1 month in 2010/2011 and 5 months in 2011/2012,
c) Choose either option to suit my tax circumstances?

Arthur Weller Replies:
If you look on page PIM1101 ( on the HMRC Property Income Manual you can see that your second option 'b' is the correct treatment. It requires apportionment in a similar way to trading income.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question