This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Gifting my half of the property: CGT issues?

Question My brother and I jointly own a property where my brother lives. He pays the mortgage for the property. I want to gift my part of the property to him without any benefit for me. Do we need to pay any capital gains tax (CGT)? I am resident of UK, he is not resident for tax purposes.
Arthur Weller replies: 
Your brother's situation is not relevant; the relevant point is that you are gifting an asset to a connected person, and any transfer to a connected person is deemed (for CGT purposes) to be at present market value. If the present market value of the property is more than what you paid for it, you have to pay CGT on your half of the gain. However, if your gain is less than the CGT annual exemption (AE) (i.e. £12,000 for 2019/20) and you haven't used your AE in the current tax year, you will have no CGT to pay. 

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question