Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Does the age-related tax relief come off capital gains tax?

As a non-domiciled UK resident and being over 70, I will be selling a property this year that I have rented out for the past nine years. I have paid tax on the income. What are the capital gains tax (CGT) implications when I sell?  Does the age-related tax relief come off the CGT?

Arthur Weller replies: 
Assuming that the property is in the UK, you will be liable to UK CGT when you sell the property, because you are UK resident. You mention the 'age related tax relief'. I assume that you mean the increased income tax personal allowance because you are over 70. This will not affect the CGT you have to pay. First, you deduct the CGT annual exemption (currently £11,100) from the gain. Any remaining gain falling within the unused basic rate income tax band (currently £31,865) is taxed at 18%. Any remaining gain after this is taxed at 28%.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question