This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Do I still pay tax if I am renting to a family member?

Question I am renting a property to a family member at below market value. Am I still liable to pay income tax on any rental profits and CGT when I sell the property? Are there not any family relief’s that I can use?

Ian Says:
Renting a property at below market value to a family member has no effect for capital gains tax purposes- you will still be liable for it when you sell the property.

Also, properties not rented out at a normal commercial rate must be kept separate when calculating income for tax purposes- the loss cannot be offset against other rental profits, only profits from that same property.

There are no family relief’s available- dependent relative relief was scrapped for new properties in around 1988.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question