This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Do I have to live in it to be exempt from tax?

If I bought a plot of land and built a house, would I pay tax if I sold it and used all the sale proceeds to purchase another property or land, or would I have to live in it firstly as my principal private residence (PPR)? If I move in, how long do I have to live there for exemption?

Arthur Weller replies: 
If you sell the house without living in it - yes, you will be liable to tax. If you live in it before you sell it - you can make it into your PPR. There is no fixed answer to how long you need to live in it to make it your PPR. You need to be able to demonstrate that you moved in with the intention to stay long term. Some tax advisers would say you need to live in it for at least between six months and a year.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question