This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
Save Thousands - For Free

Before you go, sign up to our free tax saving email course. Get 7 top property tax saving strategies in your email inbox that will help you save thousands in tax. Unsubscribe any time.

Email Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Tax Articles View Tax Articles From:

Capital Allowances on Plant in Buildings – Maximise your Claim!

Landlords of residential property suffer from a disadvantage when it comes to claiming capital allowances on the cost of plant and machinery. Plant in a ‘dwelling house’ does not qualify for capital allowances. It is, however, still possible to claim capital allowances on plant installed in common areas.

By ‘common areas’ I mean, for example, a block of flats. Commercial landlords suffer from no such restrictions and can claim capital allowances on the cost of any plant and machinery they install.

The rates of capital allowances vary according to the nature of the plant involved. The default position is that plant qualifies for a ‘writing down allowance’ at a rate of 20% per year – which will reduce to 18% from April 2012, but certain items which are ‘integral’ to a building only qualify for a lower rate of 10% - reducing to 8% from April 2012.

‘Integral’ plant is defined by a list of items:

• Electrical Systems

• Cold water systems

• Systems for heating, ventilation, hot water, and air conditioning

• Lifts, escalators, and mechanical walkways

• External solar shading

Annual Investment Allowance (AIA)

All of the above types of plant, however, qualify for the Annual Investment Allowance (AIA), which gives tax relief for 100% of expenditure on plant and machinery up to a limit of £100,000 for the year. This limit is also being reduced in April 2012, to a mere £25,000, so if you were thinking of spending some money on plant in your building, now is the time.

A word of warning to limited companies – if your accounting period does not end on 31 March, you need to take advice to see how the transitional rules affect your entitlement to the AIA – your allowance will be less than £100,000 for the accounting period which straddles 31 March 2012 and exactly when you incur the expenditure will be important.
The majority of plant installed in a building is likely to be ’integral‘ as defined above, but with a £100,000 AIA for the current tax year, in many cases the expenditure will be covered by the AIA and will never be subject to the lower rate of writing down allowance.

More to Claim!

It is not only the cost of the actual plant that can be claimed. The costs of transporting the plant to your building, and of installing it, are considered part of the cost of the plant, and can thus qualify for the AIA.

You can also claim the cost of alterations to an existing building which are done for the purpose of installing plant and machinery. For example, if it is decided to install a lift in a building, the cost of constructing the lift shaft - including the bricks and mortar – can be treated as part of the cost of the lift itself, and thus will qualify for the AIA.

Note that this only applies to the cost of altering an existing building, not constructing a new one. Where the installation of plant and machinery involves an extension to an existing building, you will need to be able to satisfy the taxman that the alterations were ‘incidental’ to the installation of the plant and machinery.

What Does This Mean?

‘Incidental’ has been defined by the Courts to mean that the alterations were required in order to install the plant. It is not enough to show that the extension was needed to provide sufficient room to put the plant – there must be a clear connection between the building cost and the installation of the plant itself.

Practical Tip

It is important to liaise with your architect, builder, and quantity surveyor to ensure that all such expenditure is identified, and where possible, the plans and the invoices should indicate those works that were ‘incidental’ to the installation. An appropriate proportion of these professionals’ fees can also be treated as part of the cost of the plant.

This is a sample article from the monthly Property Tax Insider magazine. Go here to get your first free issue of Property Tax Insider.