This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can we vary our income split for tax purposes?

My wife and I own a property as Joint Tenants as opposed to Tenants in Common. As Joint Tenants are we forced to split the income 50% / 50% for tax purposes or can we vary this.  Due to our respective incomes it would be more advantageous if we could apportion all of the income to my wife.

Arthur Wellers replies:
In order to achieve what you want, i.e. more of the rental income to be taxed in your wife's name, you need to do two things. Firstly you need to transfer a corresponding proportion of the property into your wife's name, either by formal conveyance, or by deed of trust to transfer beneficial ownership. Secondly within 60 days you need to complete a Form 17 ( and send it into HMRC together with proof of the transfer. The result of this will be your being taxed according to the actual proportion of the ownership, and not on a 50:50 basis.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question