This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can we split the rental profit this way?

My wife, son and I have just purchased a property in Scotland in our joint names - one-third each. My wife and I only wish to cover our interest on the loan that we have taken out to purchase the property, with our son receiving the balance of the rental profit. Is it possible to do this?

Arthur Weller replies:
Assuming your son is over 18, yes it is possible to do so. Draw up a written income agreement saying that even though the ownership of the property is one third each, nevertheless the income is entitled to be received in a different proportion. Then make sure that the right amount of income actually goes to a single name bank account for that individual. The taxation will follow the entitlement to the rental income, as per the agreement.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question