This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can These Costs be Offset Against Income?

Question I recently purchased a residential property as a buy-to-let. Prior to letting I carried out a substantial renovation. I understand that most of the costs incurred are capital as they arose prior to the initial let. Included in the refurbishment was re-felting a flat roof, replacing windows and replacing the boiler. I am not sure if it possible to set these costs off against revenue?

Arthur Weller Says:
If you look on the HMRC Property Income Manual page PIM2020 ( you can see that the cost of buying a dilapidated property and putting it in good order is capital expenditure in the same way as buying a property in good condition is clearly capital expenditure. In such a case, even expenditure that would normally be revenue expenditure is treated as capital. This would include re-felting a flat roof, replacing windows and replacing the boiler.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question