This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can the whole of the rental income come to me?

I own a buy-to-let property with my boyfriend. We're tenants in common split 60-40, however we ideally would want all of the rental income to come to me as he pays higher rate tax. Is there a way we can change this percentage split to 99%-1%? If this isn't possible, what's the maximum split we could do? How do we go about notifying HMRC of this change - do we need to do it through our solicitors? Also, if we one day sold the property would him only having 1% stake in it affect his CGT tax-free allowance?

Arthur Weller replies: 
You can draw up a written agreement saying that even though the property is owned 60:40 nevertheless the rental income is received 99:1. Then make sure the money actually goes to a bank account in your individual names in the proportion 99:1. You do not need to inform HMRC and you can draw up a written agreement yourselves, without involving solicitors. This arrangement will not affect the underlying ownership of the property, so that when it is eventually sold the sale proceeds will be received 60:40.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question