Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can rental losses be carried forward?

Question My daughter has property rental losses that were carried forward from the tax year 2016/17. Can she use them to offset against her property rental income for the tax year 2017/18? I ask this because she was unable to enter last year’s loss carried forward figure on to her online tax return when she completed it.
Arthur Weller replies:
It is not clear from the question what the difficulty was. However, the rules state that a rental loss is carried forward automatically, without the necessity to make a claim, and the loss must be used against the rental profits from the first available tax year after the year of loss. See HMRC’s Property Income manual at

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question