This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can my partner and I claim each of our properties as our residence?

Question I own two adjacent properties and as such I am required to pay two lots of council tax. I do not wanting to merge the two together.  I appreciate I could claim a 10% discount on whichever I deem the second property, but what's to stop my partner and I nominating one address each as our residence?  In doing so we would become the sole occupant of each address and render us eligible for 25% discount each?

Arthur Weller Replies:
If you actually live in one property, and your partner actually lives in the other property, then each of you can claim a 25% discount on your personal council tax bill. But if that is not the case, then obviously what you are proposing is a non-starter.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question