This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I Use My Wife's Personal Allowance to Claim Tax Relief?

Question My wife & I jointly own one buy to let in equal proportion, 50/50. I pay tax at the standard rate. My wife is a non taxpayer. Can I use her personal allowance to claim tax relief on the income & I pay the remainder?

Arthur Says:
If the total taxable income is £10,000, and the property is owned 50:50, then £5,000 income belongs to each one of you, and one persons tax allowances cannot be used against anothers taxable income, even if the first one cannot utilise their whole allowance (there are exceptions to this rule, e.g. marriage allowance, but they are not relevant here).

You have the option of moving more of the ownership of the property into your wife's name, and informing the Revenue on a Form 17. This will shift more of the income into her name, and enable you to utilise all her income tax personal allowance.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question