This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I transfer a property over 2 years?


I would like to transfer my second property to my 2 children.  The property is currently valued at £170,000.  Can this property be transferred in 2 tax years, e.g. 50% in March 2013 and 50% in May 2013, in order to get 2 CGT allowances? If so, would there be a stamp duty land tax implication?


Arthur Weller replies:

Yes, you can transfer the property in two tax years in order to get two CGT annual exemptions.


However most probably HMRC would argue that this is a linked transaction and charge stamp duty land tax (SDLT) on the £170,000; see However if this is a gift for no consideration, there is no SDLT.

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question