This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I split the profits without changing the ownership?


My wife and I own various residential let properties 50/50. Can I give myself a partnership salary, as I put in most of the work and she pays 40% tax, and then split the balance of profits 50/50 (as one might in a schedule D business) - without changing the ownership proportion?


Ian Says

Unless you have been reporting the property income as a partnership since day one then no true partnership exists. Otherwise you have a whole raft of rules that apply to partnerships that would make this a non-starter.


You currently have properties owned jointly, so you are each entitled to half the income.  Paying yourself a 'partnership salary' cannot be done in this instance.  One method of changing the proportion of income between you would be to draw up a beneficial interest deed stating you are entitled to say 75% of the profits and gains, but this can cause it's own problems.


You may be better off setting up a management company (owned solely by you) which then charges for it's services...see our guide 'How to Use Companies to Cut Your Property Tax Bills’ for further details on this.


Calculations would need to be done to see which of the various options available would give the best result, as the alternative is to transfer one or more of the properties into your sole name, which may give a stamp duty charge.

Case Study

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question