Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I offset costs if I have lived in the property?

Question When the first part of property ownership is claimed as residential ownership (i.e. I live in the property) can:

a) purchase costs of the property be claimed as relief.
b) refurbishment costs, carried out during the residential period, be claimed as relief.

when you decide to sell the property?

Arthur Says
The simple answer to this question is yes - both purchase costs and major refurbishment costs can be added to the acquisition costs of the property, to set off against the sale proceeds, to reduce the capital gain when the property is disposed of.

Case Study
Louise buys her first home in August 1998 for £50,000. The purchasing costs are £700 and include solicitors fees, survey fees etc.

In May 1991 she has a conservatory built. The cost of this is £15,000.

In June 1995, she moves in with her long-term boyfriend and rents her property out.

She finally decides to sell her first home in June 2003, after having let it of 8 years. She is able to claim relief on the £700 purchasing costs and the cost of the conservatory against the capital gain.

Landlord Tax Secrets Get our SEVEN FREE Landlord Tax Saving Strategies - Guaranteed To Slash Your Property Tax Bills!
Click here for more.

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question