This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I gift my partner one of my buy to let properties?


Can I gift my partner one of my buy to let properties so that I don’t pay tax on the rentals as she has no income, and therefore won’t pay tax on this one property (and I have no mortgage on it)?


Arthur Weller replies:

From the wording of your question (you refer to your ‘partner’) I am making an assumption that you are not married. If so, you do not need to gift to her a whole property, it is sufficient if you just gift to her a minimal percentage of the property (e.g. 5% or even 1%). Once she is a co-owner with you in the property, you can then draw up a written agreement between the two of you, that even though you own 95% of the property, and she owns 5%, nevertheless she is entitled to and will receive 100% of the rental income. Then make sure that the rental income goes to a bank account in her name, and that any allowable expenses relating to the property are in her name (so that she can claim them against her rental income). She will now be taxed on all the rental income. See PIM1030 on HMRC’s website (

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question