This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our privacy notice.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


A bit of data which remembers the affiliate who forwarded a user to our site and recognises orders from those who become customers through that affiliate.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

To enrol in the 7 tax saving strategies email course complete the form below. The first module will be emailed to you immediately.

Enrol now on the free landlord tax strategies course

Thank You!

Free Tax Saving Strategies Course
The seven FREE property tax busting strategies course reveals the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I contest this valuation as it could increase my capital gains tax?

My brother and I were gifted a house by my mum and stepdad in January 2014. They bought the house in 2004 for approximately £195,000. The value on the land registry title absolute recorded at the time of transfer to me and my brother in 2014 was stated as being 'between £100,001 and £200,000. If my brother and I were to sell the property now for an approximate value of £300,000 how much CGT would we pay? Is it affected by the stated value at time of transfer in 2014? If so, is there any way I can contest this valuation, as it is definitely wrong. The house is in London and is almost certainly above the £200,000 valuation given in 2014 and definitely above the £100,000 valuation. The property has been rented out the entire time it has been owned by my parents or me and my brother.

Arthur Weller replies: 
You can certainly contest this valuation. A house in London bought for £195,000 in 2004 must have been (under normal circumstances) worth a lot more in 2014. You are not bound by what was written on the land registry documents. See and

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question