Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

To receive our seven FREE landlord tax saving strategies just simply complete the form below and the first strategy will be emailed to you immediately.

Sign up to get our free landlord tax strategies

Thank You!

Seven FREE property tax busting strategies reveal the secrets of how to legitimately beat the taxman and boost your property profits!
View All Questions

Can I claim these costs back?

I am about to rent out my house in 2 months. Can I undertake painting and decorating, replace a kitchen (similar standard) and change light fittings for new ones? Can I claim these costs when I start renting?  I have heard that it can be done up to 3 months before but not sure.

Arthur Weller Replies:
The three different kinds of expenses that you write about i.e. painting and decorating, replacing a kitchen like for like and changing light fittings are all revenue expenses. See, page PIM2020 on the HMRC Property Income Manual. If you look there on, page PIM2505 you can see that such allowable expenses can be claimed as though they occurred on the first day of trading, if they were incurred seven years before that date. So keep all your invoices.  

Case Study

Property Tax Insider This sample question and answer is taken from Property Tax Insider, a monthly UK tax saving magazine for landlords and property investors.

The first issue is free so click here to try today!

Got a burning tax question?

Why not submit a tax question to our tax advisors

Ask a Question